Friday, September 17, 2010

Jack can predict the future.

We got Jack while I was unemployed to keep me company. Two days later, I thankfully was hired at a new job. Since I was home with him in the beginning, I was Jack's favorite. As soon as I went back to work, Garrett lost his job. This made Garrett home all day with Jack, and his new favorite. Most dogs can sense when their owner does not feel well, is sad, or is happy. Jack is not one of those dogs. He is solely concerned with three things: where is a warm body to lay with, how quickly can he bury under a blanket, and when is the next time he gets to eat. If Garrett is home, I am Jack's second choice. As soon as Garrett is on the couch, Jack is right next to him. If you ask Jack "where is Dad?" he races around the house looking for him. When Garrett leaves Jack watches his car pull away, while crying. Their codependent relationship is both cute and annoying. Today that changed...
This morning while laying on my lap with his head on my belly, Jack got a huge kick to the nose from Baby A. He picked his head up, looked at my belly, looked at me, and put his paw right where Baby A had just kicked. It was beyond adorable. Since then Jack won't leave me alone. Not just sitting with me on the couch or following me around the house, but he has to be touching me constantly. Usually he will lay on the couch with me and if I get up he will stay put and wait for my return. (He's no fool, he isn't going to lose a perfectly good spot on the couch.) Today he laid on my lap all morning, followed me into the bathroom, and jumped halfway into the tub while I was in the shower.
While writing this Jack has pushed my hand away from the keyboard to pet him. It's like he knows he will not be the only "child" for much longer and wants attention while he can get it. Maybe Jack can predict the future and knows the boys are coming soon. I just wish he could tell me when...

4 comments:

  1. awwwwwww. jack thinks you're going to have a dachsund for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That truly is adorable! I can just see his little face and paw. But maybe he has found a new soul mate(s). He's not looking for your attention -- he's trying to get close to the fun guys you've been hiding from him. Perhaps he's found himself his next best friend. Sorry Garrett.... I think you're both about to be replaced on Jack's "A" list. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs love hairless puppies. They smell uber funky several times a day, ooze stuff that is very interesting, and when they're older they drop food.
    It's a win-win.
    Jack's no fool; he's making friends now.
    Aunt Cassy

    ReplyDelete