Saturday, September 11, 2010

34 Weeks and 4 hours of activity!!!

Our 34 week checkup on Tuesday went great! The boys are getting huge! Baby A (who is still breech) is 4.9 lbs and Baby B is 4.13 lbs. It's so nice to know that they are growing at such a close rate and we do not have to worry about one getting more nutrients then the other. Our doctor said they are growing right on track and the fluid around them shows that I am feeding them enough and drinking plenty of fluids. (I could have told him my 45 pound weight gain showed I am feeding them enough...) Since we made it to our first goal of 34 weeks and are now past the "scary too early to be born stage" I got partial activity back!!! I can now be up moving about and doing "essential errands" for 4 hours a day! I'm pretty sure our doctor is teasing me with the thought of doing any kind of errands knowing very well I am way too uncomfortable walking to do anything productive. (After all, I'm lugging around 9 plus pounds of babies!) Our doctor would like to see me make it to 36 weeks. At 36 weeks we will have a greater chance of the boys leaving the hospital when we do. He has also bribed me with complete activity at 36 weeks. Even though he would like us to go another two weeks, because I am already 1cm dilated, the boys can arrive any day. (Meaning, I'm making it a priority during my 4 hours of activity to shower, not knowing when my last will be) For my first "outing" I went to get my hair done. I considered this a very essential errand considering my last appointment was at the end of July and blond hair is not cute with brown roots. (I could be sitting the whole time, which is how I reasoned with myself that this was an ok activity.) While I was there, there was a wedding party with their photographer, who was more interested in chatting up strangers then taking pictures of the bridal party. This is the actual conversation he had with me:

Photographer- "Do you know what you are having?"
Me - "We know that it is two boys"
Photographer- "Are they twins?"
Me (thinking, is there another way you have two at once?) "Umm, yes"
Photographer - "Oh! I have twin girls! They are 29 now. I am also a medical photographer. Do you have someone to capture the birth?"
Me (now thinking, you should know how twins work...and EWWW!!!) "No, that is not something we are going to do"

This belly should have come with a warning: You will have bizarre interactions with strangers.

3 comments:

  1. wow- maybe you should have warned the wedding party how dumb their photographer is! and I did not realize that 'capturing the birth' was something people did . . . yikes!

    fingers crossed on those two more weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm thinking sleepless nights and burpin' babies will be a breeze to you after this pregnancy! This is quite a dilemna for me...rooting for the babies to stay put for awhile for their sake, but wanting MY baby to be done already! Keep up the good work, sweetie. Love ya lots (and see you soon)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, believe it or not, I agree with my sister -- torn between wanting the apples to bake till they are done (borrowing that phrase from old Dr. Fischler in St. James who used to tell Muttie that when her babies were overdue), and wanting those two squirmy fellows OUT. Where we can snuggle them, and so you can get back to normal, or what will pass for normal in your new life as the mommy of twins.

    Meanwhile -- capturing the birth? EWWW hardly even begins to describe that particular horror of misguided modern life. I am almost speechless.

    Double EWWW.
    Take care, Godkid.
    Love you -- Aunt Cassy

    ReplyDelete