Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Worst. Night. Ever.

My boys sleep. Both of them. At the same time. They always have. As newborns they slept in 3-4 hour stretches, waking once a night to eat. Garrett and I have not had a sleepless night. At three months old both boys started sleeping through the night, 7:30 pm-7 ish am. Go ahead and hate us cause I totally would. Not only do I have one baby that sleeps through the night, I have two babies that sleep through the night. After getting their 2 month immunizations we were warned that they may be a little "off" that night. They slept great. When they had their first colds, they slept great. When we packed them up and drove to New Jersey, they slept great. They slept great, until their four month shots. Worst. Night. Ever.

We breezed in and out of the doctors office. The boys got shot. Their was little crying, and we headed home. They were completely fine after their last shots so why would these be any different. Right? Wrong. During their last feeding Calvin went nuts. Calvin never goes nuts. If we only had one child, and it was Calvin, we would forget we had a baby cause he is that good. And he was screaming. We put the boys to bed and once in his crib he thrashed around. We picked him up. He screamed. We put him down he screamed. We changed him. He screamed. Garrett and I had no idea what to do. We never had a bad night with either baby. He was screaming to much and so loud that he was red and sweating. Something was clearly wrong. (Oh, during all of this Luke was sound asleep. Go figure.) I finally called the emergency number for the pediatrician. A very annoyed on-call doctor told me he was probably sore from the shots and I could give him infant Motrin. Garrett stripped Calvin's clothes off and sure enough under the tiny little band-aids were swollen baby thighs. I flew to the nearest pharmacy which was, of course, closed. I ended up grabbing the LAST bottle of infant Motrin at the grocery store that is yelling distance from our house. We gave Calvin the Motrin, left his pants off and waited. After about 30 mins, laying on the floor with Mom and Dad listening to Mom sing "itsy bitsy spider" (poor kid must have been desperate, my singing should have caused more screaming), he stopped. Calvin wrapped his arms around a stuffed bear, snuggled his magic sleeping blanket, and fell asleep. Garrett decided Calvin should sleep with us in case the screaming started again. I decided Garrett should sleep on the couch and I would sleep in our king size bed with the 13.10 pound baby. Sorry, Garrett. I carried Calvin upstairs like he was the Hope Diamond and we went to bed. Our worst night ever was finally over.

Did I mention our "worst night" was over before 11:30 pm and everyone (including Luke) slept until 8:30 the next morning? No? Oops. Maybe not the worst night ever.

2 comments:

  1. I hope, I hope, I hope that that was truly your worst night (evening?) ever. I'm thinking it won't be, but I hope it is.

    ReplyDelete